What Your Foreign Language Choice Says About You

Photo courtesy of stock images.

Photo courtesy of stock images.

Jason Dockstader, Humor Editor

Every student picks a foreign language to devote your years at CHS too. You aren’t told this, but you also devote your soul to this as well. You might think you aren’t predictable, but the language you choose tells a lot about you as a person, as well as what level of difficulty you choose.

Spanish Standard:

You probably don’t really care and want to scrape through. You chose the easy language and don’t want to be bothered with anything harder. Either that, or you natively speak Spanish and want a free pass. This is really the only class that applies to, as come on, who knows how to speak Latin by nature?

Spanish Honors:

You probably want to take a hard class to hide the fact that you’re taking Spanish. Either that or someone who natively speaks Spanish was better than you at the class and you got mad and moved to honors.

French Standard:

You want to be extra, but not too extra to take a harder class.

French Honors:

You are overly extra and will get super defensive and defend French as the best language and how you’re smarter than everyone else and all this, but will never speak any French despite supposedly passing French 1.

Latin Honors:

You are probably really into being a doctor. You claim that a dead language will help you become a doctor, probably to give a reason behind your utterly confusing action. You might also claim that you want to be a translator and know many languages by learning their roots, another blissfully ignorant statement.

Latin Standard:

I’m scared of you. Why would you willingly inflict this pain upon yourself if you clearly don’t want to be a doctor (because if you did you’d just take honors)? What are your motives, you demon?

German:

You’re just weird. You might want to be “quirky”, then step into the classroom and feel the regret wash in.

This all leads to a question some of you might be asking- what language do I take? I can say all this stuff about these languages, but what do I do since I clearly look on myself as better than these languages. These concerns and questions are very valid. I take a language far beyond your comprehension, and the greatest one that remains relevant, rewarding, and is a power play to even attempt-

-Greek.