Dragon Spirit

The Student News Site of Collierville High School

Dragon Spirit

Dragon Spirit

Book Releases of 2024
Book Releases of 2024
March 25, 2024

Is Wearing Makeup a Form of Catfish?

Photo courtesy of Jody Fisher Law

Makeup has been a part of human culture for centuries, serving various purposes

ranging from self-expression to enhancing beauty. However, in recent years, there has

been a growing debate over whether makeup is a form of catfishing.

Catfishing refers to the act of creating a false identity or persona online to deceive others.

Individuals use makeup to express their creativity, enhance their features, and reflect their

personal style. Just as somebody might choose a different clothing style or hairstyle to present

themselves to the world, makeup serves as another way of self-expression. Makeup primarily

aims to enhance one’s natural features rather than to change them completely.

Most individuals use makeup to highlight their best features, such as accentuating cheekbones,

defining eyebrows, or adding a pop of color to the lips. It allows individuals to feel more

confident and empowered in their own skin rather than creating a false facade.

Unlike catfishing, where deception occurs without the knowledge or consent of the other party,

makeup is transparent in its application. Makeup wearers do not hide the fact that they are

wearing makeup; rather, it is openly displayed. Additionally, makeup does not change a

person’s identity or personality; it enhances their outside appearance temporarily.

It’s essential to consider the cultural and social norms surrounding makeup. In many

societies, wearing makeup is widely accepted and even encouraged as a means of

grooming and self-care. It’s in our cultural practices and is not intended to deceive or

mislead others. Just as individuals may groom themselves in other ways, such as styling

their hair or wearing perfume, makeup is a tool for enhancing one’s appearance.

In conclusion, makeup is a form of self-expression, artistry, and personal grooming that aims

to enhance natural features rather than deceive others. It’s essential to recognize and

appreciate the cultural and social significance of makeup in modern society without

associating it with deceptive practices like catfishing.