Dragon Spirit

The Student News Site of Collierville High School

Dragon Spirit

Dragon Spirit

Book Releases of 2024
Book Releases of 2024
March 25, 2024

Phone Usage at Collierville High School

Photo courtesy of Healthline

CHS is a great school with amazing teachers, but maybe us students tend to rely on our phone a little too much, especially when it comes to socializing. I mean, how many peers do you see on their phone in the hallways to avoid conversation? Or how many times have students tried to get the Wi-Fi just to be on their phone in class? It’s a growing technological advancement, no doubt, but it could just be a growing addiction too.

Many times, during the day I see classmates, and sometimes even teachers, on their phone. Sometimes, they have their AirPods in or just scrolling through social media. Shelby Meza says she uses her phone to, “watch memes and talk to friends.” Many students can agree that using your phone to talk to friends, or even contacting parents, is common in social media (hence, the word social). Another student, Celeste Hair, says she uses her phone, “for social media, contacting people, and research.” Research is a great way to use your phone and it’s also a great way to help with homework.

Now, digital footprint is vital for getting a job or accepted into a college because it can determine if you’re fit for the college or workplace. A CHS student says that students should not post things online without thinking, “because it could harm their chances of getting scholarships and job opportunities if they don’t watch what they’re posting.” This student explains why it’s important for students to watch what they post.

Posting impulsively is also a backstabber because nothing is deleted permanently. Another student adds, “things can come back on you, and nothing is really deleted.” Things like screenshots lurk around even after you delete a post and many students don’t know that even though they delete it, it’s still possible to find again.

Are you spending more than two hours a day on social media or just on your phone in general? You’re not the only one, in fact, many students at CHS spend from 1 to 8 hours a day. A student says, they’re on their phone for “1 to 2 hours” a day. They also say they’re on social media for, “30 minutes,” a day. This is a great example of how long you should be on your phone for. On the other hand, Martha Dinstuhl says she’s on her phone for, “5 hours a day,” and social media for, “3 hours.” This is an average amount of time for a teenager and she’s limiting her social media use. OSF healthcare says that ages 5-17 years old should spend, “generally, no more than two hours per day, except for homework.” It’s also important to mention that students at CHS are on laptops majority of the day since it’s for work and school-based learning. So, it can be extremely hard to limit screen time when more than 5 hours a day, students have a screen in front of them. Spending more than 2 hours a day can become an unhealthy habit. CHS offers great opportunities and learning experiences, but maybe students and teachers should limit the time they use on their phones.