Dragon Spirit

The Student News Site of Collierville High School

Dragon Spirit

Dragon Spirit

Book Releases of 2024
Book Releases of 2024
March 25, 2024

Young Wins Election

Photo courtesy of youngformemphis.com

On October 5th 2023, Memphis native Paul Young claimed victory as the new mayor of the City of Memphis. He was up against 16 others in the battle for the position: one of which being Shelby County Sheriff Floyd Bonner. Other opponents include President Van Turner, and former Memphis mayor Willie Herenton. The previous mayor, Jim Strickland, was term-limited out of the race. Young prevailed at nearly 5% more votes than competition, putting him at the top. Young ensures the public that he will strive to make Memphis a more inviting and friendly environment, stating that “whether you’re in this room or watching on TV, I believe that we can be better.” He will continue as the 65th mayor of Memphis.

Young is taking office during a very struggling time for Memphis. He recognizes that our community needs help and leadership. Among his goals, he plans on making strides in the areas of economic communal development. Young wants to rid crime numbers, provide more opportunities for employment, and support the culture around the city. He would also like to restore the trust between residents and Memphis police. He got his start at the University of Tennessee with a dream of being in politics, and eventually moved up to being the Downtown Memphis Commission CEO. There he saw the potential for what Memphis could be.

While in this position, he strives to enhance urban growth and development. He claims that no other candidate would be as “prepared for the mayor’s office as he is now.” 

Young is driven, courageous, and won’t shy away from the discourse that comes with Memphis. He has observed our community his entire life, and “saw a city he ached to fix, to aid.” This election will no doubt prove pivotal in the improvement of the City of Memphis.