Dragon Spirit

The Student News Site of Collierville High School

Dragon Spirit

Dragon Spirit

Prepping for College
Prepping for College
April 3, 2024
Book Releases of 2024
Book Releases of 2024
March 25, 2024
Photo courtesy of Billboard.
Beyoncé Goes Country
March 6, 2024

Millennial Cringe Culture

Photo courtesy of HbrH
Photo courtesy of HbrH

Millennials are a generation of people born between 1981 and 1996 who developed their own sub-culture full of what younger generations deem “cringeworthy.” But are they really that bad? The only way to find out is to approach each element individually and pick it apart from the inside. I’m going to rank different parts of millennial culture on a scale from one to ten, one being the most tolerable and ten being so cringe that it kind of hurts.

Fake Mustaches – 7/10

Every time I see a picture of an adult holding a perfectly shaped, comically sized mustache below their nose, it makes my face wrinkle. I understand that trends don’t always age well, but I can’t imagine mustaches were ever funny to begin with. 

Using Hashtags in Platforms That Don’t Support Them – 4/10

Why? You can just say it, you don’t need to put a hashtag in front of it.

Asking Gen-Z if They Know How to Use a Rotary Phone – 8/10

It doesn’t matter. I’m never going to use a rotary phone. And even though I’ll never need to use one, I DO in fact know how it works. Same with VHS tapes. Everyone knows what a VHS tape is. Please stop, you’re embarrassing yourself.

Baby talk – 10/10

Speaking of embarrassing yourself, stop talking like a baby. Cheezburger, doggo, and aco-taco are words that should never be said by anyone over the age of two. 

“Dogespeak” – 9/10

What even is Dogespeak? Why do you say “doge” instead of “dog”? These are questions we’ll never get the answer to. Please stop captioning your dog’s Instagram posts with things like “I wuv my hooman”. Just because your dog can’t talk doesn’t mean you need to talk for it.  It would be “purr-fect” if we left this behind us and moved on.

Getting defensive after reading this – 5/10

There’s really no way to explain this except in a language you’ll understand; Sorry, I didn’t have my cup of coffee this morning, so I’m a little grumpy. #NotEpic

At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter what trends you followed in the 90’s or the 90’s clothes you still wear in the 2000’s, what matters is how, you, as a person, act. But if you still pose with mustaches and post it on Instagram with “#EpicBacon” in your caption, you have some self-reflection to do.