What is the Most Popular Music Genre at CHS?

Maggie Munier and Zorah Brooks

All musical taste is subjective. You could admire some genres while detesting others. You might also enjoy a little bit of everything. It’s fascinating to note that some of the most well-liked genres are also among the least well-liked. That is because people enjoy deviating from the conventional. Simply because something is popular doesn’t mean everyone will like it.

Top Genres

Pop is one of the most well-liked musical genres, according to data gathered from throughout the web. Pop is made up of the songs that were most in favor during a specific time period. Taylor Swift, Arianna Grande, Lady Gaga, and Katy Perry are a few well-known Pop musicians. Second, one of the most well-liked musical sub-genres in the music industry nowadays is hip-hop. Drake, Snoop Dogg, and Eminem are just a few of the many well-known Hip-Hop artists. Additionally, the most bizarre but nevertheless entertaining genre originates in South Korea.The “K” refers to Korea, and this musical genre is becoming more and more well-known abroad. The boy band BTS is demonstrating why K-Pop is among the most well-liked genres in the music industry. R&B is another preferred genre. African-American musicians who were influenced by jazz and the blues created Rhythm and Blues (R&B) in the late 1940s. Beyoncé, Chris Brown, Bruno Mars, and Usher are a few of the most popular R&B musicians. 

Moreover, Country has become a big hit. Country music is currently one of the most well-liked musical genres thanks to performers like Carrie Underwood, Morgan Wallen, and Luke Combs. You’ll probably agree that there are many wonderful genres to discover, even if we can’t declare one category to be the finest or most well-liked music genre of all time. Overall, these genres are all highly well-liked in the music industry and continue to strive every year.

Student Surveys

Music is a significant part of life; it becomes important around puberty when children start to discover their musical identity and can keep forming until their mid-twenties. Around this time in our lives, most of us begin to listen to music more and form opinions on specific genres and artists we like. Music is essential because it can transport you to a different world, help you relieve stress and anxiety, aids memory, and improve your mood. In addition, music is a way we can express and figure out more about ourselves. Also, we are more receptive to trying new things at this age since we do not know who we are yet. So, when your friends send you song recommendations, you usually listen to them just to see if it is something you would like.

It can also help you connect to others and make more friends and meaningful relationships, which is vital in high school, which is why this poll was taken to see how similar Collierville High School students’ music taste is. So, let’s get to the data! The top genres at Collierville High School overall in order are Pop, Rock, Alternative, and a tie between R&B and Rap. A common theme throughout all the grades, half of the grade’s top genre was pop, ninth and tenth grade. For eleventh, theirs was rap, and twelfths were R&B. The runner-up genres were country, indie, hip-hop, and K-pop. Lastly, the lowest on the genre lists in order are soul, jazz, and classical. This is understandable since they are usually listened to by older generations. The runner-up genres were country, indie, hip-hop, and K-pop.It will be interesting to see if the music artists  liked by Collierville students will match up to the genres they like.

As previously discussed, music is an essential part of life, especially for growing teenagers trying to discover who they are. Earlier, we found the well-liked genres of Collierville students, but genres are broad; there could be artists who make music under the pop umbrella, same for the other genres that were in the top 5 most liked by students. There was a top 6 for favorite artists since there were two ties; in the order, it was The Weeknd, Taylor Swift tied with Tyler the Creator, SZA, and Morgan Wallen tied with Harry Styles. The Weeknd and SZA are R&B singers; they can be put in the category of alternative artists. So that makes The Weeknd and SZA R&B singers but also Alternative R&B singers too. Tyler is the sole rap artist in this group, but he is also in the genre of Hip-Hop. Taylor Swift and Harry Styles are the pop artists of this group, and Morgan Wallen is the lone country artist. These six artists are not strangers to the top, having millions of listeners monthly on Spotify. By data, The Weeknd, the number one listened to artist at Collierville high, is 2nd in the world on Spotify. There is so much music in the world and billions of different artists and genres; it is fascinating to know the music preferences represented at Collierville High.