Baseball’s Opening Week

The Collierville baseball team standing for the national anthem at Meet The Dragons. Photo courtesy of chsdragonsbaseball on Instagram.

Markayla Ewing, Staff Writer

Our Collierville baseball team opened their season over spring break. The players, parents, siblings, girlfriends, and everyone else stuck it out at Patriot Bank Park. Spring break included a week of baseball, Saturday to Saturday.

With rain, 30º weather, and heavy winds, baseball continued! The location changes and cancellations couldn’t stop our Diamond Dragons. Our two teams together only lost two games throughout the week. Let’s recap a week of baseball!

Saturday, March 11th, Collierville baseball’s booster club hosted ‘Meet the Dragons’. Unfortunately, the rain came in and ruined the plans. But the Collierville Baseball family made the best of it. Everyone ate, everyone laughed, players were introduced and signed autographs.

On opening day, Monday, March 13th, fans packed the park. Two of our teams took on Briarcrest Christian School. Our JV dragons defeated the Saints 7-2, and Varsity won 6-5.  JV came back and took on CBHS winning 10-2! The varsity dragons were tied until the bottom of the seventh when Tanner Wages singled, scoring a run.

Tuesday, March 14th:  Our JV team traveled to West Collierville for some ball and demolished Fayette Academy 12-0. Our Diamond Dragons were on fire.

Wednesday, March 15th, varsity traveled out to Germantown while junior varsity stayed home. Junior varsity conquered Tipton-Rosemark Academy, with the end score of 8-3. Varsity took a major victory over Germantown, ending the game with the score of 17-0. Brody Winemiller entered that game sizzling. He was ignited and went 4-4 at the plate. Winemiller homered in the first, tripled in the second, doubled in the third, and homered in the fifth. The Dragons racked up 10 hits, with Trey Peterson & Cael Allen being the reason for multiple!

Thursday, March 16th: Our diamond dragons played hard. Varsity and JV both lost their games. Varsity fell to Rossview losing 9-4, while JV fell to Bartlett losing 6-4. There were still some highlights of the game. JD Whitworth hit a homerun in the third inning. The Dragons ended the game with 5 hits, Whitworth and Thomas Crabtree having 2 each.

Friday, March 17th: Our team and fans hit the road to Millington and registered a comeback victory. Our Varsity Dragons faced up against Buckhorn. Smacking Buckhorn with a 10-0 loss. It was a great and cold day to be a Dragon in Millington! Scotty Wyatt allowed Buckhorn ZERO runs. AJ Greene also hit a home run.

Saturday, March 18th : All three teams left the field with wins. JV’s first game they beat Arlington 9-0. The second game they played Bartlett and won 13-3. Varsity played Arab high school and beat them 23-13.  Matthew Autry and Brody Winemiller both homered. The boys had  22 hits during the game. Thanks to Whitworth, Winemiller, Smith, Greene, Hayden Short, Crabtree, Tanner Wages, Joey Caruso, and Autry.

Our Diamond Dragons had great week! Yet, that’s only the beginning. So, make sure to come out and support THE Collierville Dragons baseball team at Patriot Bank Park!