Dragon Spirit

The Student News Site of Collierville High School

Dragon Spirit

Dragon Spirit

Book Releases of 2024
Book Releases of 2024
March 25, 2024

Pickleball- What You Need To Know

Photo courtesy of USSportCamps.com

Pickleball is one of the fastest growing sports in the US.  Many people play it each day and is a fun sport to practice anywhere.  Anyone can play, young and old.

About The Game

The game itself is easy to play.  It is kind of like tennis, where either doubles or singles hit the ball with a paddle or racket.  They try to hit it to each side, trying to score without the other person or team hitting it back.  When the game starts, one team starts off with one serve, called the second serve.  If they score, the players keep rotating back and forth until stopped.  When the other team gets the ball, they have two serves to score.  So, if they get stopped on the first one, the other player serves, and they get a second chance to score.  The goal on a serve is to get the pickleball into the big square across from them.  If not, the player loses a point.  The players can only score when on your serve.  There is also the kitchen, which is the area of the front of the court where you cannot step in.  The games go to 11 points.

Facts about the Pros

The game itself is very fun to play but can be time consuming.  There is also professional pickleball.  According to pickleheads.com, “The two biggest competitive leagues include the PPA Tour and the APP Tour, as PPA’s Vibe League merged with MLP in 2022. Florida and California are the two states where the largest concentrations of pickleball courts and players are to be found.”

Overall, pickleball is a fast-growing sport and is easy to learn.  It is also a good way to spend your time outside.  Once learned, it is enjoyable to play and can be a good activity to keep anyone active.