Dragon Spirit

The Student News Site of Collierville High School

Dragon Spirit

Dragon Spirit

Book Releases of 2024
Book Releases of 2024
March 25, 2024

Simone Biles

Photo courtesy of Texas Monthly.

Gymnastics is a rigorous sport that takes a large amount of talent. The sport includes physical exercises requiring balance, strength, flexibility, agility, coordination, and endurance. Gymnastics is arguably one of the hardest sports in the world. To become an Olympic gymnast like Simone Biles is no easy task. 

Simone Biles has had a remarkable Journey and started her elite career at the young age 14 on July 1, 2011. In 2012 she added to the U.S. junior national team. In 2013 she captured four medals and won the first world title. In 2014 she defended the world all-around title and became the first American to do this since Shannon Miller in 1993 and 1994. In 2015 she won three straight U.S. titles. In 2016 she won four medals at Rio Olympics. In 2017 she took a break to travel the world but started training late in the summer to return to competition in 2018 where she won a fifth U.S. title. In 2019 she became the most medaled gymnast at the World Championships in Stuggart, Germany where she won five gold medals and had a total of 25. This passed Vitaly Scherbo who held a record of 24. She also had two historic moves named after her debut, she completed the triple-twisting double back on floor and the double-twisting, double back dismount off the balance beam.  After Covid in 2021, she was the first American woman to capture seven national all around titles. In 2022 she had several Olympic withdrawals and wanted to explore other things outside of the sport gymnastics. 

In 2023, she went back to competing at the U.S. Gymnastics Championships. It was her first time competing since the year 2021. She won the all-around in August and celebrated after winning a record of eight national all-around titles. She most recently competed at the 2023 World Artistic Gymnastics Championship in Antwerp, Belgium where she became the first woman to land the Yurchenko double pike vault. The move is named after her, calling it “Biles II” and will be added along with five other elements she also named. After this championship she will be preparing to compete in the Paris 2024 Olympics. Simone Biles is a very well-deserved and talented gymnast who has so much more in store that she is preparing to show the world. 

1
View Comments (1)