Why is JROTC not included as an extracurricular class at CHS?

Photo Courtesy of news.leanderisd.org

Amelia LeMaire, Junior Editor

JROTC (Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps) is an opportunity to improve yourself and your skills to better prepare for future leadership roles. It is designed to teach high school students the values of leadership, citizenship, personal responsibility, and a sense of accomplishment while serving their community. There are multiple branches of JROTC, most common are: Army JROTC, Navy JROTC, Air force JROTC, and Marine Corps JROTC. 

I asked what positive impact the program would have on the school and students, CHS principal Mr. Jones replied, “I think it’s great for kids to always have a piece of history, and knowledge of history, knowledge of our country, knowledge of how it’s been established, knowledge of what makes it work.” U.S. history is one of the many things that JROTC teaches, along with leadership, geography, civics, health, global awareness, and life skills. JROTC also keep its military customs that include physical training and education, uniforms, ranks, ribbons, drills, honor, and commitments. Uniforms, ranks, ribbons, and drill are some examples of the military aspects. Ribbons are issued when it’s not appropriate to wear medals. They are used to recognize acts of heroism, bravery, achievements or participation. Drill consists of movements by which a unit or individual is moved in an orderly, or uniform manner from one formation to another. 

If JROTC is such a great program, why has it not been added to CHS extracurricular classes? “JROTC programs, first off, are very expensive,” said Mr. Jones. JROTC programs cost anywhere from $200,000 to $250,000 a year. “The military assists schools that have a large population of kids” going into the military. Our school does not have a large number of kids going into the military, most go to college; because of this, the military tends to not give us the grant. Without the military’s support, schools have to pay the bill themselves.

What would it take for a JROTC program to be instituted? To obtain a JROTC program, it all comes back to funding. Mr. Jones stated, “You [have] to be able to fund the program, you’ve got to be able to sustain it.” Even if CHS gets the grant to assist with funding, it will eventually run out. If we get the program, the school will have to pay the salary for instructors, along with benefits, the curriculum needs, uniforms, or anything that would come with the program.

Even so, Mr. Jones is adamant about the program and confident that students would take an interest. JROTC is a good opportunity and available for everyone, especially if you don’t do any sports or after-school activities. JROTC has its own type of talent with drill, air rifle, STEM, and physical fitness competitions. Not to mention that JROTC boosts college admission applications. Admission offices are interested in students who demonstrate experience in leadership roles. If you are interested in going into the military, JROTC can help you get an ROTC scholarship. An ROTC scholarship helps pay for your college and will help you graduate with a respected and secure career path into the military. Hopefully, CHS will one day be able to hold a JROTC program that will significantly improve students’ leadership roles and lead them to a brighter future.