Dragon Spirit

The Student News Site of Collierville High School

Dragon Spirit

Dragon Spirit

Book Releases of 2024
Book Releases of 2024
March 25, 2024

Collierville’s First Blue Ribbon School

Crosswind students forming a heart after receiving their award. Photo courtesy of Kristie Murin, principle of Crosswind Elementary School.

Collierville’s Crosswind Elementary school earned the National Blue Ribbon award on September 19th, 2023 once the Secretary of Education held a press conference announcing the National Blue Ribbon Schools. The National Blue Ribbon is an award that’s given to schools that meet at least one of two criteria: Exemplary High Performing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools as measured by state assessments or nationally normed tests and Exemplary Achievement Gap-Closing Schools are among their state’s highest-performing schools in closing achievement gaps between a school’s subgroups and all students over the past 5 years. 

Crosswind Elementary school’s principle, Mrs. Murin, says “When we received the National Blue Ribbon Award, I was overjoyed and filled with a sense of pride. The impromptu celebration with our students, the pom-poms, confetti, and ‘Go Eagles’ chant was a memorable moment that showcased the excitement and unity of our school community.”  Collierville Schools is filled with amazing schools and teachers. Mrs. Murin definitely showcases how wonderful our teachers are and how much they care for each student. “This award means a lot to our town,” Mrs, Murin says, “I am incredibly proud of Crosswind and what we accomplished as being named a National Blue Ribbon School. This award signifies that Crosswind is one of the top-preforming schools in the entire nation, which is a testament to the hard work and dedication of our students, teachers, and parents.”

Dedication and hard work pays off, it’s such a great feeling that Collierville Schools is being recognized and proving how capable this town is to success. Crosswind Elementary has achieved many great things over the years and they offers a range of programs like Vex Robotics, Perennial Math, Choir, Drama, Peer Leaders, Jr. Beta Club, Chess Club, Morning announcement team, Crosswind County, and girls and boys basketball team (coming soon). These curriculums are great for younger students to find their interests for the future. Crosswind is a great school and surely the parents agree too, why should parents choose Crosswind? “Parents should choose Crosswind because we prioritize the well-being and education of their children above all else. We have a track record of excellence, a nurturing environment, and a strong commitment to helping every student reach their full potential,” Says principle Murin. Crosswind itself should be chosen by many parents knowing they were the first Collierville school to earn the National Blue Ribbon Award. Crosswind creates a welcoming environment for students, teachers, administrators, and parents. Congratulations Crosswind!