Dragon Spirit

The Student News Site of Collierville High School

Dragon Spirit

Dragon Spirit

Prepping for College
Prepping for College
April 3, 2024
Book Releases of 2024
Book Releases of 2024
March 25, 2024
Photo courtesy of Billboard.
Beyoncé Goes Country
March 6, 2024

Salmonella in Cantaloupe

Photo courtesy of KansasCity.com

Eagle production LLC on Thursday, September 28th have encountered an estimate of 6456 cases of Kandy branded cantaloupe with bacteria in it, specifically, salmonella. Government officials have tracked down when the fruit was sent to grocery shops across the U.S, and have claimed that it was sold from Sept 5 to Sept 16th.

Officials have also tracked down the 19 states that have been affected: California, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin have all been sent with the salmonella infected cantaloupes.

Customers that have bought this fruit are advised to throw it away, as salmonella is not a fun disease to have. It affects 1.35 million people per year, and symptoms can happen anywhere from 6 hours to 6 days to notice the disease taking over control. Symptoms may disappear within 2-5 days, but can last up to 1-2 weeks. Symptoms of salmonella include diarrhea, stomach cramps, fever, nausea, vomiting, chills, and headaches. A common recommendation for people with salmonella is to drinks lots of fluids, weather its water, or a drink with electrolytes to give energy throughout the day