CHS Saves Thousands of Plastic Water Bottles

Collierville Highschool saves 173,093 plastic water bottles.

Keira Williams, Staff Writer

Many Collierville students are familiar with our automatic water fountains.  One fountain is located in every hallway both up and downstairs.  You may have even noticed there are two on the main hallways. If you look a little closer you will find that each bubbler has a running count of how many water bottles have been saved. These numbers are calculated by every 16oz filled and are a running count from the 2020-2021 school year to now.

After running around the entire school, I have calculated the numbers so you don’t have to. As of January 18, 2023, the total number of water bottles saved through Collierville high school is 173,093. This is about 7,212 cases of water, unless you shop at Costco. The Language hallway had the highest number of 17,974. The career hallway followed in a close second of 17,847 water bottles saved.

The Town of Collierville strives to be more environmentally friendly. The Environmental Commission members, chairman David Perry and vice chairman Paul Brister recognize the benefits of recycling. Here in Collierville, our recycling goes to the Eplex Landfill where it is sorted to be repurposed. Our high school’s contribution to the initiative saved the Eplex Landfill on Shelton Road over 173,000 water bottles in the past two and a half school years. This number will continue to rise as more water bottles are filled everyday.

In the past years, multiple brands of reusable water bottles have gained popularity. You cannot turn a corner in this school without locking eyes with a Stanley cup. Similarly, this was the case two years ago with the Hydroflask. Regardless of how you feel about these cups, they have done wonders for our local environment. Additionally, they have a hand in the amount of plastic bottles saved throughout our school.

I encourage you to take the time to stop and refill your water bottle at least once this week. Even if you are using a single use bottle, it is still one more bottle saved.  We all know the benefits of water. It is essential to life. Help do your part in keeping Collierville safe and clean by utilizing Collierville’s automatic water fountains.