Class President Elections

Bailee Gean, Head Editor

Collierville High School hosted its 2022-2023 Class President Elections this past week, with Clark Kirby winning the Senior election.

After nearly two weeks of campaigning, results were revealed to the student body on August 22.  The campaign was quite interesting as the most candidates from any of the grades was 4. The student body was torn between a talented array of class presidential candidates. Ultimately, Kirby was named the Senior Class President for the current year. Cameron Mitchell, Jordyn Gillenwaters, and TJ Stephney won the Junior, Sophomore, and Freshman elections, respectively. This is monumental for Collierville High School because it is the first time since its establishment that 3 African American students were elected by their peers to represent their class.

At a school with nearly 2,800 students enrolled, 41% are minorities, with 19% of those being African American. It is imperative that the leaders of the

school truly represent the diverse population, and in turn create an inclusive and accepting learning environment. The Class President election provides the equal opportunity for students to serve as leaders of underrepresented students at school.

Fair representation is empowering to individuals who may not feel seen or valued. Representation within Student Government lets students to view themselves as capable leaders who can make their mark on our school. Collierville High School has made significant progress in its diversity in recent years, with Roger Jones becoming its first African American principal. In the nearly 100 years since its opening, this is notable improvement in accurate and equal embodiment of Collierville’s diverse demographics.

Diversity has not always been embraced, but the recent underclassman presidential elections serve as a reminder of the importance of inclusion and representation within schools. Cameron Mitchell, the Junior Class President, states that his biggest priority as president is to “[be] a voice for underrepresented students and minorities,” He aims to change the lack of inclusion at CHS throughout his presidency. This coincides with Freshman TJ Stephney’s desire to want “everyone in [his] grade to feel they are being heard,”