Teacher Spotlight: Ms. Freed

Griffin Scoggins, Junior Editor

Ms. Freed our new SGA sponsor is one of our newest additions to Collierville High School and has a lot to share with the student body.

Although she may be new to the high school, she worked at Collierville Middle School with their Resource Aid and SPED programs. This is her first official year teaching as an English 11 teacher and advising our SGA program. Growing up as a teacher’s kid sparked an interest in her. She attended the University of Memphis and received a bachelor’s in marketing and management, following it up with a year in law school. Even when she was in undergrad, she felt as if teaching was “still up in the air.” Alongside this, her mom being a teacher played a key role in her career, influencing her to become a teacher.

Even if she had more experience in business and was the easier route to follow, her heart led her to become a teacher.  During her middle school and elementary school years, she got to see the behind-the-scenes and felt as if it was “the coolest job ever.” She thought this especially since her mom taught at the same schools she went to. Though the switch was a difficult decision to make, she knew it was the right path for her. She mentions that her mom was an “influential person to talk to” and solidified her decision. Currently, she is attending the University of Memphis for the second time to receive her bachelor’s in secondary education.

Ms. Freed is originally from here in Collierville and attended high school at Center Hill. In her first-grade year, her mom had transferred from Collierville to Center Hill, so it was natural for her to follow her. During this time, Collierville Schools was still a part of the Shelby County Schools, which didn’t offer much stability for teachers like DeSoto’s did. With this stability, her mom transferred over to Center Hill which is a part of DeSoto County. However, this allowed her to “meet some of [her] lifelong friends.”  Though, if she went there, then why doesn’t she teach there?

Well, growing up, teaching at Collierville High was one of her dreams. During her time as a student, she was heavily involved with Student Council and hopes to be the “supportive sponsor” for the SGA members. When asked what she would tell someone interested in SGA but wasn’t sure, she mentions that they are always welcome to sit in on an SGA meeting during seminar. This being her first week here, she wants to simply introduce herself to them and make sure they get everything done. Student Government Association here at Collierville is student lead, and they plan things such as the dances, pep rallies, and even the well-loved dress-up days.  Being new in the middle of the year can be challenging for some, yet she sees this as an opportunity for the students to open up more.

In her free time, she enjoys hanging out with friends or family, studying for her college classes, or with her two rescue dogs. Her goals for this new year have to deal with her getting her intern contract renewed which she finds exciting and wants her students to grow to love English as much as she does. She mentions that “if [she] can just make them enjoy English just a teeny tiny bit or learn more than they came to [her] with” then it makes it all worth it in her opinion. Moving on, she loves playing a part in that student’s education. There’s a saying she holds close when it comes to teaching, even if it’s cliché. The saying, “the future of the world is in my classroom,” reminds her of the love that she has for teaching. She reminds herself that what if those students became something big? Hence why the ability to even teach them is something she treasures and values most.

When times get challenging for her, she lives by the motto that “it’ll pass.” She claims that it helps keep her going and advises people to remember that. Ms. Freed is such a kindhearted, determined teacher, so let’s make this a great year for her!