Counselor Spotlight: Mrs. Bittick

Counselor Spotlight: Mrs. Bittick

Cameron Mitchell, News Editor

Mrs. Bittick is one of the incredible guidance counselors here at Collierville High School! She is the counselor for the Class of 2024 for last names Li-Z.

She first became a school counselor 13 years ago in January of 2009, and she has remained at this school ever since. There have been various memories that have shaped her experience here; however, one of her most gratifying instances was when a severely unconfident student “saw his potential and was proud of himself for the work he put in” to finally graduate. It is this self-confidence that she tries to instill in her Class of 2024 students as they graduate next school year.

As rewarding as this school experience has been for Mrs. Bittick, her general counseling experience did not begin here. She first worked as a social worker in a traditional housing shelter for women and families. During her time there, she noticed how most of the women failed to complete high school, and the children continually lost interest in their own schooling. This was “heartbreaking” to her, a feeling that made her “want to get into schools where she could work directly with students/youth.” From that point forward, she committed to the well-being of high school students, ensuring that she never saw the disappointment she witnessed in her previous career.

Though being a guidance counselor at CHS allows her to reach her vision, it does come with unavoidable busyness. Students often need assistance with either personal or academic matters, typically in sporadic intervals. Of course, this can get quite hectic, but Mrs. Bittick ensures that she has a proper work-home balance.

She even has a strategy for ensuring she does not become too overwhelmed: “I make a point of giving my all each day when I’m at work so that I can enjoy family time when I’m at home.” This strategy is certainly necessary as she is a mother of a 2- and 3-year-old! It is simply astounding to consider her ability to balance the needs of her actual kids and her “school kids.”

Nevertheless, Mrs. Bittick has contributed an impressive amount of time and effort to her counseling career, and the results are unmistakable. Students like me, who have had the pleasure of interacting with her and having her as a counselor, have benefitted tremendously from her selflessness and dedication to this school. For that reason, CHS appreciates Mrs. Bittick and all of our superb guidance counselors! Their role in this school does not go unnoticed!