Dragon Spirit

The Student News Site of Collierville High School

Dragon Spirit

Dragon Spirit

Book Releases of 2024
Book Releases of 2024
March 25, 2024

How To Be Funny: A Guide

Photo courtesy of Getty Images

I’m sure that if you’re reading this, you must be a very funny and confident person like me. Yet some people aren’t gifted with our level of hilarity, and unfunny individuals are the worst to be around. If you’re ever around a humorless person, make them read this article.

Hello, here’s how to be likable.

Sarcasm

Sarcasm is a way to mock and shame people in a way that gets them to laugh at your joke before realizing you just humiliated them. It’s also commonly used to make light of how terrible something is. An example of sarcasm would be saying “This day just keeps getting better!” after your wallet gets stolen or saying “Aren’t you a funny guy.” when someone makes a bad joke. You might be familiar with this comment.

This type of humor is effective if you’re trying to appeal to other sarcastic people or guys who think they’re funny by being downright disrespectful. Sarcasm is what connected me and my best friend! She’s also sarcastic, not an egotistic man. I’m not friends with any egotistic men.

Dark Humor

Don’t. Stop saying “It’s just dark humor!”, we all know what you meant when you said that. Defending yourself will only make things worse. Please stop trying.

However, if you happen to find yourself in a room with men who complain about the “woke agenda” on Reddit, you might have to degrade your ego into laughing at their jokes about dishwashers and sandwiches to ensure your safety.

Self-Deprecating Humor 

If you’re going to make jokes about yourself, there needs to be something funny about you. You can’t make a joke about being broke when you live in a mansion. It’s not funny and only makes people hate you.

The right way to use self-deprecating humor is to make fun of something actually wrong with you. In your case, you could make a joke about how unfunny you are. Maybe then people will laugh.

Physical Humor

Physical humor only works if you’re Jim Carrey or Mr. Bean, and I’m sure you’re neither, so it’s not funny. Yet, some brave individuals attempt it anyway. 

Physical humor consists of doing things with your body or face that are ridiculous and crazy, like being Jim Carrey or Mr. Bean or could mean running into a pole or tripping over a banana peel. But you need to remember, just because it’s funny on television doesn’t mean it’s funny in real life. And you aren’t Jim Carrey or Mr. Bean, so it will never be funny.

I hope this encouraged you to better yourself for everyone’s sake. If it didn’t, reread the article and try again later.