Club Spotlight: AAPI

Keira Williams, Staff Writer

The Asian and Pacific Islander club is popular at Collierville High School. Established at Collierville high school in the 2022-2023 school year, this club offers a safe space for many. The goal of AAPI at Collierville High School is to provide an inclusive environment to Asian and Pacific Islander minorities to freely express their cultures.

This far in the 2022-2023 school year, AAPI has held two fundraisers. The first fundraiser was the Henna booths at the football games. The proceeds from that event totaled up to $400 and went to Pakistan Flood Relief. Additionally, they held a movie night and raised $200 for the Culture Day Committee. In the future, you can look forward to new fundraisers from AAPI that are still in the works!

Anthony Hoang, the president, is a pivotal member of the club. He set out to bring AAPI to Collierville last school year. With the help of the sponsor, Ms. Pehlivanova, the AAPI club at Collierville was born. Anthony Hoang states, “AAPI was created because Collierville High didn’t have any clubs or organizations that catered to the Asian community. The club is a space for students to be with their peers with similar backgrounds yet still provides opportunities to learn about others.“ Almost 100 members attend meetings for friendship, fun, discussions, and occasional crafts.