Health Science

Health+Science

Annalise Argiro, Staff Writer

If you are interested in a Health Science career, Collierville High School and Mrs. Cummings can show you the path to learning more about this field of study.

New to Collierville High School, Mrs. Cummings joined CHS after working at a local hospital. She became a Health Science teacher because “hospitals can be stressful and there was more to do in [her] career. [She] learned about teaching Health Science and wanted to try it.” She added, “It was very easy to transition to teach at CHS.”

After meeting Mrs. Cummings, she was asked What Health Science was about? She responded, “It is about all things in healthcare, like different pathways and body systems.” Health Science introduces students into the different pathways in medical care. It is the first step of the medical pathway to help you know if you want to study medicine and healthcare. At CHS, the Health Science curriculumn provides students with an opportunity to earn the Certified Nursing Assistant designation.

During the interview, Mrs. Cummings was asked What teacher influenced her? The teacher that influenced Mrs. Cummings was her 10th grade English teacher. Mrs.Cummings stated,“I became her TA for 11th and 12th grade. She was very fun and let us have fun.”. She was also asked how long it takes to make lesson plans for Health Science? Her response was, “It takes a whole day to do a weeklong lesson plan.”

At CHS, we are lucky to have this pathway to learn about the possibilities in the medical field.