Dragon Spirit

The Student News Site of Collierville High School

Dragon Spirit

Dragon Spirit

Book Releases of 2024
Book Releases of 2024
March 25, 2024

Do You Ever Lose Track of Time While on the Internet?

Photo courtesy of Screen Time Labs

Do you ever lose track of time while on the internet? Chances are you have, because the average teenager spends a lot of time on screens whether it’s through playing video games or scrolling through social media. I think we have all had that realization that it’s 3 AM on a school night, well have you ever wondered how much screen time the average teen has or what amount of screen time is recommended for a teenager, or even what is the most commonly used apps by teens? Read this passage and find all the answers to your questions.

First of all, the most commonly used platform based on a Center survey taken on April 14-May 4, 2022 is surprisingly YouTube. YouTube has a huge majority using it with 95% of teens saying that they have used it before. Next, the average screen time that a teen has is 8 hours and 39 minutes per day. Finally, the recommended screen time for a teenager is 2 hours per day. This 2 hour screen time per day is due to the fact that screen time can cause digital eyestrain and poor posture.

Maybe by taking a short walk outside once every week you can help to start fix your posture and have a little bit less screen time. The average screen time for a teenager is 8 hours and 39 minutes per day. The recommended screen time for a teenager is 2 hours per day due to the strain it puts on your eyes and posture. Lastly, the most commonly used platform by teenagers is YouTube with 95% of teens saying they used it. Scrolling through social media or playing video games is a sure fire way to lose track of time and be up at 3 Am on a school night.