High School Sweethearts

Amelia LeMaire, Junior Editor

Most people say that high school love doesn’t last, that soon you will part ways, walking different paths to different futures. Less than 2% of people marry their high school sweetheart . But sometimes fate takes course instead of statistics, because when you meet the one you want to spend your life with everything changes.

Tyla Royston and Caleb Coleman

Sometimes the person you find the most annoying will ironically squirm their way into your heart. At least that’s what happened with Tyla Royston and Caleb Coleman, who have known each other since freshman year, and have been dating for two years. Tyla met Caleb when she was on the step team freshman year. During that time due to Covid- 19 protocols,  it was hard for Caleb to talk to her in person. He eventually found her on Snapchat and they started chatting. “At first, I didn’t like him because he was cringey, annoying, and kept bothering me,” Tyla said. But after having a few conversations, Caleb started to grow on her, and eventually they ended up together.

Tatum Hasting and Jonathan Sutton

Tatum Hasting and Jonathan Sutton met last July through a mutual friend. They were taking it slow and talked for a few weeks until Jonathan finally asked her out. Their first official date was a magical one akin to a date that you would see in a movie. They went out to eat, then to Build-A-Bear where they made a frog named Selena, and for the finale, he asked her to be his girlfriend. “He loves giving me, ‘just because flowers,’ so I can have something to make me think of him.” Tatum and Jonathan’s relationship consists of  going to each other’s house, spending quality time together, and playing video games. “One piece of advice I would give is, absence makes the heart grow fonder,” Tatum said. Spending time away from the one you want to spend all your time with makes the relationship stronger.

Mr. Burgess and Ms. Jones

Unlike the other couples I interviewed, Mr. Burgess and Ms. Jones met at a new teacher orientation and started to bump into each other occasionally. Ms. Jones was in his phone for a while as, “Super Cool Bio Teacher” after he ran into her wearing a bedazzled lab coat. They started out as work acquaintances but soon got romantically involved  in October of last year. Their relationship has been fun and carefree, running into each other almost every day, taking vacations and meeting family. Mr. Burgess proposed in December before winter break during a romantic moment of reminiscing.

Mr. Batey, and his girlfriend Megan

Mr. Batey and Megan started dating during their sophomore year of high school, but they knew each other long before that. They were in the same 5th grade class and were good friends. They went back and forth between liking each other until they finally got together during their sophomore year at Collierville High. They have been together ever since. What makes this couple special is that they have faced one of the most challenging parts of being in a relationship: long distance.  After stellar academic and athletic careers at CHS (she played lacrosse, and he ran track and cross-country), they went to different colleges. Mr. Batey went to Texas Christian University, and Megan enrolled at Texas A&M. Luckily, they were in the same state, but it was still a 3-hour drive away from each other. They did “long distance for four years which was tough,” and are currently doing long distance while Megan is in Dallas beginning medical school. Mr. Batey plans to move over the summer and continue teaching in Dallas. He loves that they were able to experience all aspects of each other’s lives, from elementary school to their high school prom, and attending each other’s college graduations.“ I can’t imagine being with anyone else,” Mr. Batey said.

Mrs. May, and her husband Daniel

Sometimes you end up marrying the person who gets on your last nerve, or at least Mrs. May did. When Mrs. May was a freshman in high school, her husband, Daniel, was a junior. At the time, Daniel was dating the girl who sat beside Mrs. May in math, and every single day he would try and get his girlfriend’s attention from the doorway. To do that, he had to get Mrs. Mays attention first, so she thought he was “super annoying;” but, there was a twist. When Mrs. May was in her junior year and Daniel was about to start college, they started dating. They dated on and off throughout college and ended up getting engaged when Mrs. May was nearing graduation. When she was about to start student teaching, Daniel was taking a job in Connecticut. On the day Daniel was going to propose, she thought they were having a surprise going away party for Daniel. “Unbeknownst to me they were actually planning an engagement party.” When Mrs. May headed to, what she thought was Daniel’s surprise party, he surprised her with a ring. They got married shortly after she graduated college and now have a little boy.

Coach Yates, and his wife Gail

Coach Yates met his wife Gail after an unexpected move from Las Cruces, New Mexico to Los Fresnos, Texas.  His parents drove up in a U-Haul after a cross country championship meet. He knew nothing about the move. Coach Yates was a talented basketball player. Upon arrival in his new home, his Dad drove him around trying to find the perfect high school where he could play. Coach Yates believes that the reason why they tried so hard to find him the perfect school was because “they felt guilty for making me leave.” He and his Dad visited Los Fresnos High School where he met Ronnie Parker, who eventually became his best friend. Ronnie took Coach Yates to the gym to meet the basketball coach, but, when they walked in, the girls were in the middle of practice. As he watched the girls finish practice, he noticed number 11. He asked Ronnie who number 11 was. “Well, that’s Gail, but don’t worry about her, she’s dating a college guy,”  he replied. Coach Yates looked at his friend intently and said, “We’ll see, because I’m marrying her.” They ended up dating for two years of high school. They have now been together for 49 years and married for 47.